A Game Plan for Starting a Christian Men’s Ministry
Men’s ministry starts with a few good men who are committed to meet regularly to pray for the men in their church, to pray for a clear purpose and strategy, and to pray for unity among the men. This group becomes the core group.
One of the first tasks of the core group is to establish a mission statement. The things to be considered when determining a mission statement are the following:
- Why do we exist as a ministry?
- What is our purpose?
- What results do we want to see happen?
When the direction is clear, the leadership can articulate it to others. We suggest that the pastor be requested to preach a two or three week series on men’s ministry or issues relevant to men, articulating the mission and purpose of the men’ s ministry. The series can conclude by having the men come to the front for a dedication service. In addition, the pastor could recruit men to come to a special event designed for men. For example:
- The annual men’s convention/retreat
- A sporting event
- Father-son camp out or father-daughter banquet
- A Men’s Prayer Breakfast
- More ideas available HERE
Events like these serve as an excellent opportunity to introduce men to the mission of the men’s ministry and to offer them an opportunity to form a men’s small group.
A Count-Down for Establishing A Men’s Ministries
- Pray for a few men with whom you can meet.
- Pray for a clear purpose and strategy and for unity among the men of the church.
- Develop a mission statement (consult with the pastor).
- Ask the pastor to preach a series of sermons on issues relevant to men, introducing the men’s ministry, its mission, and purpose.
- Schedule a men’s ministry special event within 2-4 weeks of the Men’s Ministry Sabbath. Use the enthusiasm to start men’s small groups and to invite them to plan to attend an upcoming men’s convention/retreat.